Friday, March 27, 2009

Who Made Her the Donut Police?

Chris brought home a box full of leftover donuts from seminary this morning (Note: This calling may be hazardous to our health.). Since Chris is not currently eating junk (go Chris!), and I don't want my kids to eat them all and be CRAZY this weekend, I feel it my duty to take care of the donuts. Hey, I'm just looking out for my family here. So I first selected a nice looking sugar-coated donut for breakfast, and I enjoyed it with a tall glass of skim milk (that counts for something, right?).

Before I could reach for a second one, Miss Lifecoach Annie started in on me:

"Mom, you can't have another one."
"Mom, don't eat them all!"
"Mom, you can have another one at lunchtime."
"Mom, you can only have one."

The girl knows me too well. I wasn't going to argue with her, so I patiently waited and waited. Then a while later when I thought Annie was distracted, I casually stole away to the kitchen with another donut in mind. Looked like I was in the clear. So I quickly opened that big pink cardboard bakery box, scanned the options, and made a choice--chocolate with sprinkles. With a glass of fresh OJ in one hand and my next victim in the other, I hid in the corner of the kitchen facing away from the door to quickly consume the evidence. Then, I hear her approaching footsteps. Uh oh, bigger bites! Hurry Tami, she's coming!

Busted. It was too late! But a quick glance at the microwave clock buys me an excuse: 12:00pm. She said I could have another one at lunchtime! Maybe I won't have to talk my way out of this one after all. Of course Annie then asks for another donut, "because [she] didn't have two today." So I give her a quarter of a jelly-filled glazed donut and quickly eat another quarter before she can say anything. But she's not going to let me off so easily.

"Mom, you can't have any more. You can only have two today."

Thanks Annie. Glad to know someone's watching out for me too!

If anyone wants a donut before the rest of them get tossed into the trash, you better come quickly.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Too funny! I think I need her some days at my house!

Mike and Shelby said...

I love this story-you have a gift for writing! Too funny.

Amy S said...

So funny! I laughed out loud because I've done the same thing... trying to secret eat because of my kids!

The Tew Clan said...

That is too funny! I do the same sometimes too!

Bobbie said...

I love it Tami! I'm a closet eater too when my kids are around.