Friday, September 10, 2010

Pie Day



Today I made an apple pie. From scratch. It is hot out of the oven and smells delicious. I don't know how it tastes yet, but I have a feeling it will be really good. This is quite an accomplishment for me as my first-time-all-by-myself-made-totally-from-scratch real pie.
Unfortunately, it was loooooong overdue. I grew up watching the master piemaker in action and assisted on many, many occasions. My mother was the absolute best piemaker I know, hands down. Her creations were among the highlights of our holiday feasts and special occasions. Some Thanksgivings she would make an unbelievable assortment of a dozen or so pies.
Until now I was too intimidated to try making my own--she simply set the standard too high, and I was afraid to fail. But recently I determined to change that. It's time to begin making scrumptious pies for my family and friends and neighbors, just as she did. What took my mother years to master will likely take me decades, so I better not waste any more time.
So in honor of my angel mother I'm dubbing today, September 10 (my LEAST favorite day of the year), as Pie Day. And I've made my first delicious yet imperfect apple pie to celebrate. I wish everyone could drop by and enjoy a slice with me.
*Special thanks to my sister Cindy for coaching and sharing this experience with me. You are great! I'll be cutting into your coconut cream pie very shortly. And to my other sisters, Amy & Lisa, I'm happy you joined in via phone/skype. I was thinking of you, too, William and Dad, and will eat a slice for you. In fact, if you drive over I'll make you your own! xoxo

8 comments:

Ashleigh said...

it looks delicious! i'm not very good at making pies with a top crust, so most of my pies are like pumpkin or pecan. good job!

Kirbell said...

Good for you, Tami! I wish I could enjoy a slice with you...

Amy said...

You are awesome! Mom would be so proud of your pies. I wish I could help you eat them! Love you.

Robbie and Darcy said...

Way to go! I am sure it was wonderful. What a fun thing to do and good memories.

jayna said...

looks amazing!! i love apple pie... so, if you ever need anyone to try a creation out, i'd be more than happy to help out. ;)

T Sorber said...

You've definitely come a long way since our nauvoo kitchen days! We were pathetic! But it was fun anyway.

Love you!

Julie said...

I have to agree with you about your mom's pies!! Your's looks delicious too! That's a great way to honor and remember her!

Lisa Turner said...

As often happens, you amaze me! Congratulations on a great pie and I love pie day. I think I am going to copy your idea next year and come up with something special for my least favorite day of the year. Genius!