Saturday, September 6, 2008

Our Guest




Yesterday a guest arrived at our home. Meet Shelby, a baby tortoise who will be staying with us for a few days while her owner is out of town. As a serious anti-pet person (I know, I'm mean and I'm depriving my kids--it's just not my thing), a person who has never EVER taken care of any kind of animal before, a person who prefers to look and not touch, you can imagine that this pet-sitting is quite a stretch for me. But I couldn't say no to my friend, and this promises to be the easiest pet to take care of, so here we are. Since my kids have surprised me by their enthusiasm for Shelby, they are taking care of her (under my direction and supervision), and I haven't even had to touch her yet. Our atrium makes the perfect guest quarters for her, and we can watch her through the glass when she's not hiding in the plants. The kids have really enjoyed having Shelby here, and I must admit, I haven't minded it either since this is a short-term stay. Although I highly doubt we will ever have any kind of pet of our own, this serves as a nice substitute and beats our usual substitutes--those trips to the zoo and pet store to look (and not touch).



Who needs TV?

4 comments:

Jamie said...

The nice thing about pet sitting is that the kids are pretty well entertained. Good job braving it out.

Amy said...

I can tell that we are sisters! I love the cute pics. Hopefully our kids will forgive us for how we are...I did let Jacob take the class guinea pig home twice last year. It was a huge sacrifice!

jenerekfamily said...

How funny. I had two turtles growing up. One was Shelby, the other was Sheldon.

We recently were pet sitters for our neighbor's beta and water frog. Unfortunately, Ryan thought the frog might like egg yolk and put some in the water. We almost killed that poor frog. I have sworn off pet sitting from now on. ;)

Kirbell said...

I agree with you on the pet front. However, it might be worth it to have a few hours a week spent in front of the turtle instead of the TV.