Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mom Guilt



I experienced another dose of what I call "mom guilt" yesterday. I was busy cleaning the house when Seth asked me to get down the craft supplies. Although I couldn't give him a good reason why, I denied his continued and tearful requests for this. I just didn't feel like getting the box down and dealing with the clean-up. I didn't want to stop what I was doing (I was in mad cleaning mode), and his craft time wasn't fitting into my schedule. On the mom guilt-o-meter I was registering at about a 3 (10 being the guiltiest).


When Chris asked if I minded if he got the craft supplies down for Seth, I couldn't really object. The guilt went down a notch or two, probably at a 1-2 now. Next thing I know, Seth is handing me a smiley face made of construction paper, pom-poms, and pipe cleaner. Oh, how could he be so sweet to me after I wouldn't even get the craft supplies down for him? Now I've jumped to a 7 or 8 on the guilt-o-meter. And then within a couple of more minutes I get an "I love you mom" note. Now the guilt is reaching it's max, and I'm wondering how this kid can be so loving and forgiving. Seth then proceeds to make love notes for each member of the family and for his grandparents.


Sure there was a mess to clean up, but I didn't mind. These sweet kids teach me so much, and I'm reminded anew that we are to become as little children, "for of such is the kingdom of heaven."

2 comments:

Kirbell said...

That is so sweet! I know how hard it is to allow the messes to happen.

corinne and paul said...

Hi Tami- thanks for giving me the link to your blog! your family is so beautiful! I can't believe how little Annie has grown up already. Hope you are all doing great!